Those interested in filing as candidates for local city council members need to do so this week, as the filing deadline is June 8, 2015.
City residents will be electing three council members in each Salina, Redmond, and Aurora, to serve four year terms at the general municipal election on November 3, 2015. Primary elections will be held Tuesday, August 11, 2015.
In Salina, the terms of Scott Johnson, Earl Taylor, and Dwayne Brown are up at the end of this year. In Redmond, Kari Peterson, LaRea Rasmussen, and Boyd Christensen’s terms will expire, and in Aurora, Nancy Kennedy, Andy Rasmussen, and Richard Curtis.
Qualifications of a candidate for the office of City Councilmember are:
(1) Be a United States citizen at time of filing
(2) Be at least 18 years old at the time of the next municipal election
(3) Be a legal resident of the City for a period of 365 consecutive days immediately preceding the date of the election.
(4) Be a registered voter of the City
(5) In accordance with Utah Constitution Article IV, Section 6, any mentally incompetent person, any person convicted of a felony, or any person convicted of treason or a crime against the elective franchise may not hold office in this state until the right to hold elective office is restored under Section 20A-2-101-5.
Those wishing to become a candidate need to file a declaration of candidacy form or a nomination petition in person with their respective city’s recorder. There is no filing fee, and the deadline for filing is Monday, June 8 at 5:00 p.m. in Salina and Redmond, and 4:00 p.m. in Aurora.